"Private messages can be read" should be a red X, not a yellow thumbs-down

I think services reading your PMs is really creepy and should be weighted more in the judgement.

3 Likes

I agree, but the only way a service can guarantee they don’t do this is end-to-end encryption. But if a service promises in their terms not to read PMs, even unverifiably, that might be worth a dedicated good point – if any examples of this can be found ‘in the wild’.

2 Likes

I agree with @HACKER3000 , it’s an invasive method of data collection that should be showed more prominently in the reviews.

If they promise that, then it shouldn’t fall under that case: they’d had the technical means to read private messages, but would be legally prohibited to do it as they claim the contrary.

I don’t think this situation happens very often. Generally services only explicitely tell users they can read private messages if either they provide a way to make messages E2EE (like Telegram does) or they are required by law to inform about it because they collect and may use that data.

2 Likes

Since no other opinons have been expressed on this, Case 239: Private messages can be read is now a Blocker.
I’ll wait a couple days before closing the topic to let the chance for other reviewers to express their thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.